Hazing Education and Prevention
What is Hazing?
Hazing is defined by the State of Ohio in the Ohio Revised Code 2903.31 as: “any act or coercing another, including the victim, to do any act of initiation into any student or other organization or any act to continue or reinstate membership in or affiliation with any student or other organization that causes or creates a substantial risk of causing mental or physical harm to any person, including coercing another to consume alcohol or a drug of abuse, as defined in section 3719.011 of the Revised Code.”
A Violation of Community Standards
Terra State Community College strives to create a safe environment for all members
of our learning community. Participating in hazing is a violation of college policy
as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct Hazing in defined in Article C, Number 9, of the Student Code of Conduct as “an act, which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student, for
the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for
continued membership in a group or organization.”
However, Hazing is Not Just a Violation of Community Standards
Hazing isn’t just a violation of college policy but also a violation of the Law as outlined in the Ohio Revised Code 2903.31 (Hazing) and 2903.311 (Reckless Failure to Immediately Report Knowledge of Hazing). This means that as a student, faculty member, administrator, alumni, or other member of the college community, if you are aware of an incident of hazing, you must report that incident or you risk violating the law.
How to Report Hazing
- Report to Law Enforcement – Call 911 or Fremont City Police at 419-332-6464.
- Report to Campus Security – Call Campus Safety at 419-559-2253 or stop at E104.
- Report to the Dean of Student Success – Call 419-559-2416 or stop at B105.
- Report to Human Resources – Call 419-559-2180 or stop at B208.
- Report a Concern - File a Hazing Report
- Student Conduct Process – Students or organizations found to be in violation of college policy or state law, will be held accountable through the Student Conduct Process as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
- Human Resources – Employees of the institution found to be in violation of college policy or state law related to hazing, will be held accountable by the Office of Human Resources.
- Terra State Community College Anti-Hazing Policy
- Ohio Revised Code > Section 2903.31 | Hazing
- Ohio Revised Code > Section 2903.311 | Reckless failure to immediately report
- We Don’t Haze Video – An award-winning documentary presentation on the life altering impact of hazing. Presented by the Clery Center.
- Bystander Intervention for Hazing Video – A short video by the Gordie Center, presenting five steps to prevent hazing.
- Hazing Prevention Network – A national non-profit dedicated to education, advocacy, and prevention strategies related to hazing.
- Stop Hazing.Org – Is a leading organization in research and data-driven efforts to stop hazing and promote safe and welcoming organizational environments.